Saturday 27 June 2015

Another welcome find on the new patch

Things are really looking good on the new patch that Pete and I have been exploring. It's an area we decided to check out after Pete had been studying Ordnance Survey maps looking for some probable neglected local areas as far as birding is concerned for us to check out. We seem to have really dropped on. 


The breeding Tree Sparrows I have mentioned before are doing very well and there are good numbers in evidence. 
IMG 1351

We have also had Spotted Flycatchers but I haven't managed a decent picture as of yet. I also believe these have bred on the patch. 

Hares are a favourite UK mammal of mine and I always enjoy crossing paths with one. 
IMG 2775

IMG 1256

IMG 1246
 
The cherry on the cake this weekend while exploring a different area of this patch was the discovery of Corn Buntings. These birds have become a real rarity in our locality. The spots I used to visit to find them didn't produce one for me last year. So discovering a small population was a result indeed. 

Bunt

Bunt02

IMG 1270
 
On the return trip to the car, a female Broad Bodied Chaser flew by and landed a little further up the lane. I managed a few pictures before it again took flight. 

CHASER
 
A hunting Hobby topped off the morning. We are enjoying exploring this area and turning up a few of its suprises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.