Saturday 14 September 2013

The Lookout.

The RSPB hide opened to the public this week at Middleton RSPB. The code to the combination door had been made available, and I couldn't resist going to have a look.

Unfortunately conditions for waders were not great this morning as the water levels on the North Pit and Jubilee Wetlands were high and still rising. I had met and wandered around with another birder this morning, and as we approached the hide, we put three Snipe up. I was hoping some may be present in front of the hide to photograph, but not this morning. We did however spot a Solitary Turnstone in front of the hide. It didn't stop long though and soon moved on, flying North. It did look like it may have dropped again some distance from the Lookout, but I didn't manage to relocate it.

Anyway, here are a few pictures showing the inside of the Lookout.

The locked door
The code entered

I was told today that if you are first to arrive at the hide, open the combination door, and secure it in the open position.

On entering Lookout, close the second door behind you. On leaving, if you are the last to leave, close the main combination door behind you.

 

My attempt at a panoramic picture of the interior

I really like the stools and chairs seating arrangement. Much more comfy to the individual than those usual wooden benches we find in most hides. I was impressed.

Lookout Logbook
All windows are tinted
Posh window clasps
One of the views from the hide

 

I look forward to using this hide in better conditions. I'm hoping for some decent Wader photography opportunities.

On leaving the Lookout and locking up after myself, I went to investigate the rate at which water was entering the reserve via the stream that runs in from the Tame. Water was flowing in quite quickly and the inlet pipe was submerged. The water above the inlet pipe was entering the pipe at a sufficient rate to cause a vortex and create some loud gurgling noises.

It's a shame the water levels on the reserve are high at the moment, especially during this ideal time for passage waders. I guess we will have to take the rough with the smooth. But I understand this has already been one of the better years for waders dropping in. I'm hoping more will grace us with their presence soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.