Sunday 30 November 2014

A Mild November Morning

I set out this morning on one of the mildest November mornings I can remember for a long time. I though I was making the most of the unseasonal mild temperatures walking around in a thin fleece with my sleeves rolled up, when a guy appeared in shorts and wellies, I had to remind myself it's December tomorrow!

I was out before sunrise and even then it was mild. I decided to take a circular route starting at Tameside NR, taking in two lakes, two rivers and the canal. I took my scope, my phone, my binoculars and set off.

Tameside

There were quite a few Cormarants on the lake as and plenty of Lapwings on the islands. A few Teal and a Little Egret.

A Giant Puffball Fungi

An interesting find, and the size of a football.

Sunrise on the big lake

I'm starting to take more of an interest in gulls and their various plumages. Photographing them will aid with identification.

I'm going with third winter Herring Gull with this one.

As I walked along the River Tame, I noticed a pair of Nuthatch busily feeding in the rotting bark of an old tree. I set up the scope, attached the camera, and attempted to get some decent shots.

I was pleased with this shot.

Then, as I got to the River Anker I noticed a Barnacle Goose amongst the flock of Canada's. A first for me on my local patch.

Barnacle Goose river Anker
Barnacle amongst the Canada's.

All told, a very interesting mornings walk. I added a female Goosander to the tally on the river Tame while on the return trip to the car.

I couldn't resist a few snaps of this Cormarant in a classic wing drying pose.

All pictures taken with my iPhone. It gets addictive.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.