Friday 30 August 2013

Third Time Lucky

The last day of my holiday and I planned to do something a bit further afield. A Spotted Crake had been reported on Thursday evening at Netherfield Lagoons in Nottingham. Sunrise today found me stood on the banks of the Lagoons scanning the reedbeds.

I didn't know the area at all, so i was pleased that as light values increased I noticed two other birders were already there. I hoped they were locals and had more idea than i did of the birds favoured areas. I was in luck, and by the time I got round to their viewing area, they had just seen this very elusive bird and it was now skulking in the very dense reed beds again.

About 15 minutes later, it again appeared. It was very difficult to give directions to each other as there were no real landmarks, just an extensive bed of reeds. So, once one of us was on it, we looked through each others scopes. All in all, I saw it three times. Two brief glimpses through other birders scopes, and one great view through my own. The Crake came just clear of the reeds, flapped its wings, raising itself off the water about a foot, then retreated back into the reeds.

What I found very interesting, was the sheer speed of this bird when it ran, very quick! This is my third attempt at Spotted Crake, so I was very pleased with this sighting.

All views were at distance and brief, so I didn't manage a picture, but I saw what I went to see, and that's what it's all about.

Spotted Crake

 

The lagoons are an interesting place and somewhere I will visit again.

The Spotted Crake was resident in the far reed beds.

The far end of the Slurry Lagoon

 

So, another lifer to end what has been a very enjoyable break. It will make returning to work on Monday a little more bearable.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.