Saturday 31 May 2014

Point and Shoot - Smartphone Photography.

Went for a quick walk around Tameside this afternoon as I had a hour to kill and took the scope along. I decided that I would put the Novagrade adapter to use and see what I could capture with my phone at some greater distances. Practicing now on more common birds will stand me in good stead when I am hopefully trying to capture record shots of rarities at some point.

Finding out your not familiar with the equipment and how best to use it is best not discovered when confronted with a rarity.

So, here are some pictures from my walk. These are meant to be representative of opportunist record shots, not examples of photographic excellence. All taken with an iPhone 4S attached to my spotting scope with a novagrade universal smartphone adapter.

Nest BH Gulls. Distance about 60 yards

 

 

I like this one. Distance 60 yards
Young Blue Tit. 25 Yards
Fledgling Blue Tit. 25 yards.

 

This Carrion Crow was about 35 yards away. There were a few branches and some vegetation between us, I tried to focus the offending vegetation out. I usually only use enought zoom on the iPhone to remove the vignetting, but I used a bit more of the iPhones zoom on these pictures.

 

Finally, as I headed back towards the car, I spotted a few House Martins collecting mud for their nests. These were about 40 yards away. Also the sun was to my left side rather than behind me.

 

Using the Novagrade adapter adds a whole new dimension to your birding. It's interesting seeing just what you can capture on the little computer you keep in your pocket, apparently, they make phone calls too!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.