Wednesday 27 August 2014

Belvide Birding WMBC

 

I really don't know why I don't visit Belvide more often? On the occasions, like today that I do go there, i always wonder why I leave it so long between visits?

A very enjoyable mornings birding and a spot of phonescoping.

Tree Sparrows are pretty thin on the ground in my neck of the woods. It was a pleasure to watch a small flock of adults and juveniles feeding today at Belvide.

I, like all birders I suppose, enjoy seeing a new bird for the first time, or a national rarity. However, as a bird watcher, I really do enjoy just watching the antics of some of our more taken for granted species.

I am a biologist and studied animal behaviour many years ago as part of my degree. Sitting quietly and observing the fight to survive of any species can be very interesting and often, quite rewarding. I soon worked out the best place to point the scope to capture some of the action. I suppose I could of missed some rarity or other while I spent most of my visit watching these fascinating little Sparrows. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my Belvide visit and will be returning very soon. This reserve really has a lot to offer.

Tree Sparrows

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.